Monday, March 29, 2010

It's been a while...

So I haven't blogged in a while,

I haven't even really been on the computer much. Spring break just ended, so I was busy doing crazy things....and doing nothing at times...relaxing, which can be JUST as good, if not better than doing crazy exciting things.

Anyways spring quarter started today, I have my new classes (intro to environmental studies, integral calculus, and oceanography). This is definitely my most science/math-oriented courseload I've had since I've been at UW. Again, I haven't taken math since high school, so that class is going to be interesting....

I need need to study for that class. Between the few classes I sat in on last quarter, and today's, I can already tell that every day is going to be a struggle to not go braindead in the middle of class. I don't mean daydreaming or anything, but trying to not reach that point where your brain just says to you "what the eff is that guy saying right now. He's just rambling numbers and letters, and why is he doing that...what does it mean?" If I can actually stay on track, and write down the specific things I get confused on (then study them), I think I can do okay in the class. But I need to study and be organized about it, and not get super far behind in the class...or else I'm screwed. There is a 'math study center' thing on campus though, which helps students who are confused with specific classes... So my plan is to take advantage of that. I just need to stay motivated about this, and not get lazy.

Anyways...I had some random thoughts today, but I don't really have enough time to write them down. I had my last meeting with my English teacher, who seemed super proud of me and my latest paper, and how much I learned from the class. She seemed almost disappointed when I told her I was majoring in atmospheric sciences and not in an English/Art major. She said that she thought I could find interesting ways to weave in my fascination with metaphors with my major though. It made me think myself... Why am I going into a sciences major instead of a more creative writing/art related one? Shouldn't that bother me? I've been horrible with math and the sciences and really technical stuff all my life.

Well, it's true that I haven't been great in all that stuff.. But I see it as an opportunity to grow. I think I could get pretty good/interested in math and sciences, I just need to work on it (beginning this quarter). I'm stressing sciences more than the math here, I still don't understand how people could love math... well I guess I could, you can use it to figure out all sorts of things... but anyways, I see it as an opportunity to learn and grow in another area in my life AND it'd be much easier to get a job in one of these areas. With art and writing, I feel like the creativity and wonder of it all is the best part. BUT there's a lot of people who write...and a lot of people who do artsy stuff, heck there's homeless people out there who write amazing music and paint beautiful paintings...but they're still homeless. writing/art is something you can't measure, it's tough to pick out the good ones...plus you feel pressured to keep making new stuff... Overall I just feel like if I entered into that stuff for a career I'd always feel pressure and stress to make new stuff, I'd feel insecure about my work, I'd have a tough time finding/maintaining a job....

...So I went with a more technical/science related career path. Which I'm satisfied with, because I still feel like I'd have a chance to show my artsy/creative side. If I did all my artsy/creative stuff as a hobby, then I can still have a secure job, but if someone does notice it and wants to hire me or whatever, then I can do it as a side job, and I don't have to worry about not job insecurity if I eventually don't work with them anymore. Overall I just feel like, if I go with this, I'll be happy and have a secure job....but if I was really meant for a more creative career in writing/photography/etc. then, I think I could still do it. Because I think experience and previous work go waaay further when applying for those jobs than a degree does. I'm just trying to say I think an employer would choose an applicant who has 0 years of experience and is amazing at art, than someone who's had 8 years of schooling and is a crummy artist.

Anyways, I'm getting into a rant here, I need to go...

One final thought, I love people who says "cheers!" instead of "bye" when they're ending a conversation. It's so much more cheery and happy than "bye".... Ok, that's it, I'm going now, Cheers!

No comments: