Anthony - Twoooooonnn! God, it's been a while since we first met in high school. We've been through a lot since then... I wish we hung out more often than we do/did, but I'm happy we've had all the experiences we've had. You never fail to make me laugh, the funny obsessions we have at different stages in our lives.... We've definitely had our hard times too. You're a hilarious guy, but at the same time you're a deep/sensitive person too, and I think it's harder for people to see that. You care about people, and you don't always get that care back. I'd just like to let you know that even though we don't hang out too often, you're a big inspiration to me, and if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here. Life's tough sometimes, but we'll get through it, we always do. Thanks for being there as both someone I can laugh with, and someone I can talk to about serious things.
Brie'Ana - What can I say... you're the most recent person I've met on this list, but already I've learned so much from you. You've inspired me in so many ways. You're such a unique, outgoing person. You're not afraid of being everyone's best friend, even if you've only known them for 5 minutes. You manage to keep that amazing smile on your face, even in the toughest of situations. From what you've told me, you've gone through a lot of horrible times in your life, but no one would ever tell by looking at you. Like in the 'Life is Wonderful' song, you use the hard times in life to appreciate the good times...the little things. You're not afraid to go out and get stuff done either, if something needs to get done, you go out and do it...instead of putting it off like I'm so used to doing. Plus you're so spontaneous and random, I love it! You're a fantastic adventure-buddy! I'll never ever forget the time after gasworks when you had those cars fly through the puddle and completely soak you. I give you mad props for that, most girls are too prissy/self-centered to do something like that. But not you, you know how to have a good time no matter what. I also admire your fantastic art skills...painting and all your little arts and crafts things you've made over the years. From your giant box-full-of-stuff, it's easy to tell that you know what's important in life. Memories. I really want to have my own box now...and at the end of the day, you can always make me laugh. You're such an upbeat, silly person, I can't help but have a good time when I'm around you. Thank you for all this, all within the short time of knowing you...in fact, it feels like I've known you for years.
Celene - What a deusch! No, only kidding. I've only been real close to my sister for the past year...maybe two years now. She's definitely one-of-a-kind. Thank you Celene for bearing with my weirdness, I love the random conversations we have...how we can relate to all these movie/internet references, and our family mayhem. You're truly an amazing one to have a conversation with. You're also so optimistic about things when you talk, it's a good trait to have. I've also learned a lot about being open/direct from you, I don't think I know anyone who's more straightforward than you. Though I don't always agree that you should be AS straightforward as you are, I do think it's a good skill to have. Sometimes you just need to say something as it is, thanks for teaching me how this is done.
Chad - God. How long have I known you for?...I was in 2nd grade...technically now I'm in 14th grade...so 12 years now? That's a looong time. Thank you for being the friend to stand by me. While everyone is off starting their own families, you're the one I can count on to go on crazy adventures with. You've always helped out when my money/job situation hasn't been too well...I know I don't always say thank you, but trust me, it means a lot. You're always thinking of random, spontaneous roadtrips we can take...California, the Olympic Penninsula, we're always there literally days (if not hours) after you suggest the idea. I've known you the longest out of all my friends. Thank you for being there.
Charlie - Haha Charlie. I don't know exactly what to say. While we don't hang out nearly as much as we used to, you were the one who taught me how to have fun. 1..2..3.. fuck it, whenever I'm hanging out with you, I feel like we could make ANYTHING into a good time. I'll never forget the 3 C's weekend (Club, Camping, Concert). The day we went camping, and we could NOT stop laughing the ENTIRE day. I still don't think I've ever laughed that much in one sitting. We always knew what one another was thinking, making things dirty, laughing at handicap people (something I'm not proud of, but it always make me bust up laughing), and just letting go and having a good time. Up to this day, I'm pretty sure you're the friend of mine that can make me laugh the easiest.
Dad - You've always been an oddball. You place so much importance in everything in life, you put so much love into the people in your life. You've taught me so many things as well. You're insane capacity to switch hobbies on the fly -- photography, weight lifting, metal detecting, guns, computers, video, snowshoeing (this one ended fast), music and stereo equipment, golf, hiking, camping, finding really good restaurants....You've had so many interests, I feel like I haven't even reached the tip of the iceberg. You've introduced me to nearly all the hobbies I have today... Most everything I have a passion for, you've introduced me to. Thank you for stressing the importance of school and hard work in life. Without you, I don't know if I ever would have made it into a good school, and I definitely would be a lazier person than I am. You're the reason I love the outdoors, the reason I love photography, the reason I go to the UW, the reason I've chosen the Atmospheric Sciences major, the reason I'm into computers and photoshop stuff. Thank you for all of this, and being the most loving father a son could have.
Jason - You're one crazy motherfucker. I love it. You've always been one of my best friends, you've encouraged me to break out of my shell and just go all out. From rocking out at concerts, to dancing on the car, to our insanely weird/awesome conversations about life, girls, and poop. You've always been crazy, but at the same time responsible... I'm so glad you're in my life to show me the importance of these two things.
Jeremy - When our group first started hanging out, I think you were the one I was most distant from. I don't know why, maybe it's because I found you a little intimidating. I was a skinny, shy guy in school and you were a big popular football player. But after a while, after dynamics changed within our group... You became one of my best friends. You showed me that the popular kids have feelings too. I'll never forget the times we had, where we'd just sit in the car and talk for hours. Talking about life, the things we were excited for, scared of, the way we thought about things, the people in our life, how similiar we were, how different we were, we encouraged each other through hard times, and entertained ourselves by coming up with ridiculous ideas. I'll never forget the summer when both of us were jobless, and in our spontaneousness, did everything there was to do in washington at least 10x each. And of course our 'berry good day'. Anyways, thank you for helping me in tough times. For giving me some security in knowing that everything was gonna be okay. For setting me straight, when I started overthinking things. You'll always be the most down-to-earth person I know.
Mom - You've provided much of the foundation for who I am. You always tried to find an optimistic view for something negative. If there was someone I was mad at or didn't like, even if you didn't know them, you'd try to explain to me how it may not be there fault...maybe it's something they're going through at home, something with the way they were raised, maybe they were having a bad day, etc. You taught me empathy, the most fundamental trait for getting along with others. You also taught me the value of doing things on my own. From taking trips out-of-state on my own, to learning the bus system, etc. You placed importance on me learning things on my own. You weren't afraid to let your son experience the world on his own. I've learned so much because of this. Thank you.
Slava - I don't hang out with you or the crew as much as I'd like. But I'd just like you to know that I think you're the nicest person I've ever met. I'll never forget the time I accidentally fell asleep in your bed, I tried to let you have it back, but you refused. You carried me down the stairs and said you wouldn't be my friend anymore if I didn't sleep in your bed. You're such a fun, sociable guy, and definitely an inspiration to me. You're optimistic, and can get along with almost anyone, thanks for teaching me the value of being a nice guy.
(Newer Additions)
My English Teacher (Joan Graham) - I think she's worth a mention. This quarter she's helped me so much with my writing. She sets the bar so high for the quality of our work, that I never get lazy. She always pushes our class to take an idea, and expand....ask why?..then ask why again... it's a never ending process, you can take one sentence and go more in-depth in a million different ways. She's helped me improve my writing, and even though her nitpicky comments on my paper get annoying sometimes, I respect that she cares so much about our writing and truly wants us to excel as writers.
Vanessa - Summer of '09. What an interesting summer. An emotional roller coaster for me. I've learned a lot from you... Most of it, I'll admit, is what I don't want to do in my life. You've shown me how painful and life-ruining it can be to become too attached to someone. It's not worth it. It can drive you go crazy, and ultimately doesn't help anyone in the end.
You've also given me insight on how destructive it can be to take a pessimistic view on everything. When you count your misfortunes instead of your blessings, you attract more negative energy to you, more bad things will happen, and people will grow distant from you. BUT, I don't want to say all bad things. I did have some great times with you, being silly, dressing up ridiculous, going on adventures, being fat kids. Those were the times I really enjoyed, just not caring, and acting ridiculous.
I learned a lot about myself from you too. You were the first girl I felt really strong feelings for. I'd never spent so many hours, talking to someone each night on the phone. A lot changed between the beginning and end of the summer. But I learned a lot from it. I learned a lot about my own emotions..the way I act in certain situations...etc. The end of the summer was definitely the most painful for me. I don't blame you for anything, I was having a hard time coming to terms with my expectations vs. reality, and a number of other things.
Actually, pause for a moment, I do blame you for a few things. The night when you wouldn't stop screaming at me, the night you cut me off from talking to anyone I cared about. I was having a rough time, I needed someone to talk to. The only person I knew there, was you. And obviously, I'm not going to open up to someone who's been yelling and making fun of me all day. I needed to talk to someone close, I was feeling horrible/alone/trapped, and you couldn't even let me make one phone call. You were too concerned that someone would find me as some drunk guy who didn't go to your school, and get everyone in huge trouble. Yes, they're going to assault the guy who's alone, talking quietly on his phone in the dark, who's not bothering anybody. Thanks for that. Thanks for screaming in my face, forcing me inside, and having me feel more trapped than I've ever felt at any point in my life.
Anyhow, other than that I don't blame you for anything. I was an emotional mess by the end of the trip out there...But it made me a stronger person in the end. It made me realize how important the people close to you are...family, friends. I wanted so bad to be back with my friends after that vacation. When I saw them at the airport, I can't even imagine how ridiculous my huuge smile must've been. But yeah, I don't regret that trip at all... No pain, no gain... that trip was a large learning experience.
Allright, that's about it. I also sincerely hope your life works out for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment