Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mmm not so bad now.

Okay, so I just DID WORK!

I was rereading some of the chapter we were supposed to write about (for the 5 page essay). I only re-read the last 3 pages....but I shouldn't say "only" (you'll see why in a bit). The first time I read these pages, I was tired and pretty much skimmed them in maybe 5 minutes. It's arguably the most 3 important pages in the chapter, but Geertz (the author) used so many complex words, and abstract concepts, that my brain was just like "nav, wtf is he talking about, just keep reading". So yeah, I went back to those 3 pages and spent two-and-a-half hours reading those pages, and writing down notes (I ended up with over 8 pages of notes). Talk about literary anaysis. I'm really glad I could actually go back and understand what he was talking about. I actually found it really interesting too. It was all about focusing on a few practices of culture (in this case, cockfighting in Bali), and connecting them to what it means for the society. Not just superficially going "oh, they do that activity to win money, and entertain themselves". He argues that looking at it in this way obscures all the emotions and subconscious connections, where the real importance of cockfighting lies within the Bali culture.

Anyways, it was neat to relate it back to our culture and stuff too. Like, the most obvious parallel I could draw is between American football. I could go way in-depth with this, but I don't feel like it. But basically how football (to a lot, not necessarily all) Americans, means so much more than football. People make bets, keep track of all the games, act out plays, and yell or cheer when certain teams score. It's all about the emotional investment, and how activities/sports like this create and provide an outlet for certain human emotions to express themselves.

ANYWAYS done with that.

Actually I should really be working on the actual paper right now. 8 pages of notes, 0 pages of final essay. I'm in Trabant Coffee again, being distracted with the Internet. Stupid Internet. I bought Gary (my favorite homeless guy) another pastry...well muffin to be specific. He seems like a really good, cheery guy. I really feel for him though, he's unhealthily skinny, and obviously can't do much. He hangs around the same 2-3 blocks pretty much all day/night. I want to start a conversation with him sometime, maybe when I'm not so loaded with homework.

Anyways. I'm just happy I'm getting back into the swing of things again, study-wise.