Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hmmm

Up until now, I had no idea what to think of the paper I wrote last week....

It was a 5-page paper about how...oh wait.. I've written about the topic already a couple blog posts back (the paper on cockfighting in Bali). But yeah, basically I wrote a 5-page draft...professor said it was crap (in slightly more polite terms) and explained that I needed to reREAD the chapter. She was convinced that I had read a text...but I hadn't read Geertz -- Basically my paper was a total hit-and-miss, because I was writing about the boring, static aspects of Geertz's writing style and not the fluid, insanely deep and philosophical message underlying his writing.

So I went back and started from square 1. Unfortunately, due to the horrible development of my recent procrastination habits, I ended up writing till around 5 in the morning...

I think an accurate, visual representation of my writing ability throughout the night can be conveyed by the following graph:




By the end of the night (or morning), I could barely read a written sentence, let alone write one on my own. I had no idea how my essay turned out... But my intuition on the subject was a not-so-optimistic one. Anyhow. The writing link teacher handed everyone in the class a sheet of 5 different trimmed down papers (we were focusing on the introduction portion of the paper, and not-much-else). The 5 papers were of those of 5 different people in class.... and at the very end of the packet was mine. And I think it was actually being used as the GOOD example, she quoted like a ton of the paper and such... so that caught me off guard, I hadn't even re-read my paper (haha in fact i didn't even recognize the title as mine at first). But yeah, so apparently she liked my paper a lot.... we haven't gotten the actual ones back though. My guess is that she liked it a lot, but she still thinks it needs a lot of work. In retrospect, I think I raised a lot of unique and interesting questions and themes...But, the "bodies" of the paragraphs (aka the substance behind my arguments) weren't the best in the world.... So maybe she'll still want me to re-write it. I don't know....

Anyways, I'm trying to think why I wrote this blog...(other than, this occured just 20 minutes ago). I'm seeing 2 reasons right now:

1) To show that, starting over from scratch is sometimes a very GOOD thing. All I can say is..think about it. Sometimes it's better to be messy,and unique/by introducing new ideas than clean, well-written but sticking with the boring, superficial ideas that everyone else is writing about.

2) Sometimes I'm an egotistical bastard, and I need to post positve things about myself on the internet so I feel good inside.

Anyways, I got no sleep last night. I'm going to do a flying leap onto my bed, then pass out...I think I'll refer to this from now on as a "crash-and-burn"


OH and I need to insert random thought of the day:

Okay, so, why aren't Narwhals more popular? Seriously, does everyone simply not realize how awesome they are. They're like the unicorn of seals! Seriously! I'm not even kidding about that, think about it. It's like we have a real-life unicorn....not representing a horse...but a mother effing SEAL! Is that not the coolest thing ever? I mean if we were to honestly have real unicorns or real narwhals, I'd definitely go with narwhals. I mentioned this to someone yesterday, and they agreed to help me with an effort to create Narwhal-Awareness...hence a major reason why I'm including this. Okay. Time for a crash-and-burn.




No comments: