Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Change

I officially changed my major today to Atmospheric Sciences.

The student advisor showed me which classes I'd have to take and when. She said I could technically squeeze it into 4 years, but I'd have to take math and physics at the same time and cram a lot of stuff in. Instead I decided to go for 5 years, so it'd be a bit more relaxed and I could ease into math a little easier. I could take math now and physics later (instead of at the same time). In fact, she said that I could go for the meterology track AND the climate track if I did this. I'd only have to take 3 more classes total. So I could relax a bit more and get more experience too...

Here's the catch...

I sat in on a Math 125 class today, the one I'd have to enter. I didn't understand. anything (well most anything). I realized I forgot all the relationships of sin's, cosine's, tangents, secants...the entire process to derivitize, trigonometry...everything. I felt utterly lost. Not only that, but it's a pain in the butt trying to get in the class, because it's all full, and it'd essentially destroy my entire work schedule and might have to shift around/get rid of some of my current classes. It's a huuuuge headache. I literally got a headache today from thinking so hard about math, all the schedule adjustments, and what I'm going to prepare for. I think for now, I might stick with my current classes + work schedule...and maybe sit in on as many Math 125 (and maybe even 124) classes as I can, to try and comprehend what's going on. Meanwhile, try to study the book, these calculus cheat-sheets I have, my old high-school calculus notes, speak to my old calculus teacher, speak to my friend who's majoring in math, etc.... Because I really need to learn math... I feel like everything I've learned about math post-elementary school hasn't been...complete. There's always certain concepts I don't get, and as a result my understanding for math is full of holes and incomplete. There's some tougher stuff I get, but some simple stuff that I just don't understand. Math is something I can't...relate to. Instead of getting interested/fascinated, I get frustrated (really easily too). Because I just don't...GET it. Ugh...this is going to be a tough couple years. Anyways, yeah I think I might just try and learn as much math as I can (on my own) now...then take Math 125 NEXT quarter. This means I'd end up taking one math class alongside with physics next year, which might be pretty rough... But hopefully it'd be worth it, because I feel like I need to build a steady foundation for my math skills before I jump into it.

Ugh, I haven't been this stressed in a long time.

No comments: