Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hmm

Inside a tea house right now (not really a tea HOUSE, more like an establishment-that-has-lots-of-flavors-of-tea-and-has-tables-and-chairs) doing my ethnography homework.

Ethnography's so interesting, while I'm no longer going to pursue anthropology as a major, the field has never ceased to continue fascinating me. The class I'm taking now actually focuses on the WRITING that ethnographers produce. The more I read, the more I realize that....EVERYONE should write. It's the most straightforward form of expression. Heck, it's why I have this blog, and why I continue to update it. It keeps a log of my thoughts so they're not lost to the dark void of the past.

Hmm, I'm looking at the top of an ice cream 'whatstheword'....container? fridge?...why can't I think. Basically the big display thing where ice cream is held (like in Baskin Robbins). The top says "GELATO"...I wonder where that word originated from...Is it another word for ice cream? A certain type of ice cream? It sounds like "gelatin" like jello or something...Hmm I'll look it up...

...well it looks like it's Italian, another word for it is "gelati." gelato is "a rich ice cream, made with eggs and usually containing a relatively low percentage of butterfat. (dictionary.com)" Hmm, so it has less fat compared to traditional ice cream. Also looks like it has nearly twice the sugar. Wow, I'm getting hungry looking it up, when the display case is right in front of me. Must stop this.

Okay, anyhow. That's all I have for now.

No comments: