Tuesday, August 30, 2011

:(


Today our family bird Kiwi died...




It's weird how it takes something as tragic as death to wake us up sometimes. I don't know what specifically caused his death, but I know it's somehow related to neglect. No one would ever take him out of his cage, he'd just sit in there all day and all night. It wasn't always this way though...

I remember how excited my dad was when we first bought Kiwi. We had found him at the Petco in Burlington, and we all fell in love with the bird. he was always trapped in this big cage in a dark corner. We'd always go up to him and poke our fingers through the cage, massaging his head through his green feathers. Whenever we pet him, he would instantly look relaxed...all his feathers would fluff up, and he'd often going into a yawning fit - sometimes he'd yawn 10-15 times. I always thought it was funny, it was like he couldn't help himself from yawning when we pet him.

We visited him a few times at the store, he always looked so neglected and ignored in the store. We couldn't believe no one would give this friendly and cute bird any attention. So finally we brought him home with us...

At first we gave him tons and tons of attention. Everyone would take turns holding him. My dad loved him the most, taking him all around the house with him. My dad taught him words like "BRRRR I'm cold!" and "RRRRRRuffles!" "Hello". I'll never forget the sound kiwi would make when you were brushing your teeth. He'd try and imitate the sound, making this really goofy back-and-forth swishy noise...

After my dad didn't live at the house anymore was when Kiwi really began to get ignored... So much so, that we actually sent Kiwi to live with my dad at my yiayia's house. That worked for a while, but eventually we had to bring him back. The condo was too small, my dad was too busy, and my yiayia couldn't handle the bird....

...And so began the neglection. No one would ever take kiwi out because he fought so hard not to get in the cage again once you tried to put him back. After a while he began biting more as well, since he'd been locked up for so long... I actually don't even remember the last time I saw Kiwi out of his cage. And now, he's laying at the bottom of it...with his eyelid half shut.

I took a photo of him, so I can remember... If I ever contemplate buying a future pet, to remind myself of what responsibilities I'm willing to take on. Also to remind myself that the same thing could happen to Kokanee, if I don't be careful.

RIP Kiwi



No comments: