Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bike-Ride-Photography-Adventure!

Today was my bike-ride-photography-adventure!

I brushed the dust off of one of the bikes that was in the garage, threw my camera in my backpack, and took off!

I've read some articles lately about how it's surprising how many great photo-opportunities can be near where you live. So I figured, I'd give it a shot, and ride off in some random direction.

The first place I stopped was at a pretty neat-looking pond. Coincidentally when I stopped, I ran into an old friend from high school who was in his truck.

Anyhow, the reflections in the pond looked like a mirror. I managed to capture this picture.



After some more riding I met back up with highway 9 in Bryant, and also ran into the Centennial Trail! I was excited to finally get on a biking road, so cars wouldn't have to drive around me. My excitement quickly died after I rode my bike about 50 feet on the trail, and a sign was posted that said "Trail Ends". They're working on the rest of the trail, but unfortunately it won't be ready for another year or two.




As I road on, I ran into some goats as well! These guys were pretty cool, they came up to me - poked their heads through the fence and tried to nibble on my hands/knees/elbows while I took pictures of them.





I ran into some more future-centennial-trail spots along the ride. Looks like they're really planning on making it go a long way!



Anyhow, I finally stopped at the Pilchuck Tree Farm. This place has a ton of open space with stumps/fields/flowers from where they logged, as well as some pretty thick forests. I remember going to this place as a kid (but it must've been a totally different entrance, cause this part of it looked unfamiliar). I ran into a deer, but it ran away before I could snap a shot of it. At the end of the day I got a shot of myself on my bike (I was on the phone talking to my dad), and some shots of the area.






On my way back home, I discovered a lake I'd never known about. It's called Bryant Lake, and it's right by my house! 19 years of living in the same spot, and I never knew it was even there! I wish this was Idaho, I might've seen a moose. Regardless, it might be a good spot to go at sunset/sunrise for some bird photos, there might even be a beaver there!



Anyhow, overall it was a great day. Got to explore some new spots by my house (oh yeah I got chased by a rotweiler at one part, which was ever-so-slightly-terrifying. But what's an adventure without danger haha). And re-discovered the awesomness of bicycle riding. I think it's a great way of traveling. Its slower than a car, so you can take in the sights... But faster than walking, so you can actually cover some ground still. Round-trip I went over 20 miles. My legs definitely burned at the end (especially going up the damn hill where the casino is). If I keep up with it though, I should hopefully get in better shape. Once I got home, I had a bowl of Spaghetti-O's (Haven't had those since I was a kid, but they're still delicious!) and a smoothie! Overall the day was definitely fantastic. Oh yeah, and here's a couple more shots I snagged on the walk back from the lake.



Live Life.



No comments: