Monday, April 25, 2011

Best ways to come up with ideas

I think I've discovered a really effective technique at thinking of film/photography ideas (stories, individual scenes, etc.)

It's simple...

1) Find a set of music you enjoy (preferably something like a movie soundtrack, or some sort of orchestral music... Pandora is a great tool for this). Hit Play
2) Find a collection of some of your favorite images (whether on your computer or Flickr), view them as a slideshow.

3) Sit back, relax, and let the images and music captivate you. Pretend the music is to a scene in a movie, and the image is a capture of that scene.

Powerful music coupled with powerful imagery create a powerful movie in our head. Even though the images and music is unrelated, our minds fill in the blanks and find a way to connect the two. Not every image-song pair will connect, but I found that many of them did. I had these powerful scenes of emotion and mood running through my head, imagining these pretend scenes/stories. It's funny how you can run different songs over the same image, and the two different songs can give the image an entirely different feel.

For example, take a look at this Flickr image, and play the following different songs to it. See how the whole mood of the photograph is influenced my the music, and you can almost see a movie playing in your head of what's happening. Try and spend a good amount of time with each song to the photo, the longer you focus, the more you'll be able to imagine.

(make sure you view the flickr image on black, when you're listening to the music)

Flickr Image:

Different Songs:


Anyways I feel like this is a powerful tool for creation and thought I'd share.

EDIT: I also tried this with video. If you choose a short movie that's fairly well shot and the theme is relatively ambiguous (multiple pan shots through the forest, or of people), it also works really well. You just have to imagine that the song was made for the video, and not keep the two separate (same goes for the image). OH and of course, mute the audio for the original video.

No comments: