Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Breaking Through Limbo

I need to DO something. I need CHANGE. I need to WRITE. I need ACTION. I need SIMPLICITY.

I need to break the habits that are keeping me here.

After the most recent trip to Mexico, I had a taste of adventure, newness, change, kindness of what the world is like.

I'm back now, and I've instantly fallen back into my old habits.

Being alone, surfing the internet, eating things around the house, doing nothing.

I'm not even sure if LA is what I want to do after summer ends.

I'm realizing that even professionals in Hollywood are more focused & passionate about individual projects (James Franco with Palo Alto and Joseph Gorden-Levitt with hitRECord) than their Hollywood films. It reminded me that even if I were to work in Holywood, I would have no creative control. I'd be a small cog in a vast machine. Not that I couldn't work my way up, but I think I'd gain more experience and get more satisfaction working on my own projects.

What I'd really love to do is travel and create videos about culture, people, and how life is different (or the same) across the world.

Videos showcasing nature and wildlife would also be great.

I find myself without a format, however. I feel lost.

What would the films focus on, what would their story arch be? What types of segments? How would it be arranged?

I feel like I should be able to make a video like this in the Arlington area -- it's a good an area as any.

In the last year, I've realized that films/movies really do take the ordinary, and focus on a certain perspective, bringing out the extraordinary.

Such as the Undercover Boss episode I worked on. The episode focuses on how amazing the individuals are who work for Hudson News (the giftshop-esque shops in airports). The work they go through, despite the many challenges they face in life. It's a tearjerker. Yet when I walked through the airport yesterday, it was obvious that no one shopping in the stores or any of the people walking by cared at all about the employees there. They were only concerned about their flight, or buying the products.

The show revealed a beautiful story out of an aspect of the everyday that people don't normally think about.

This is what I'd like to do.

I think the more media like this that exists, the more our society's values will shift towards what's important.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Hello. I'm a geologist with the Wash. Dept. of Natural Resources and one of the investigators for the Oso landslide. I saw your comment on Cliff Mass' March 24th weather blog and that a friend observed "muddy water bubbling up from the river." Can you or your friend contact me, please? I can't seem to find your email address in your Blogger account, so I'm contacting you in this rather odd method. stephen.slaughter@dnr.wa.gov

Thanks,
Stephen