Monday, June 16, 2014

Update & Thoughts

I feel like I'm in that time of my life.

I'm 24 years old.

The ages of 30, 40, 50 and beyond are fast-approaching.

My diet is now affecting my appearance and energy-levels like never before.

It's difficult to relax when I have free time, unless I'm doing something that's some sort of investment in my future (learning, spending time with people, doing creative work, planning).

I now feel the pressure of my choices unlike ever before.

The thing is, even when I have this acute awareness of my choices, I often still make the same decisions to be lazy. I'll still sit around and browse the internet for hours, or take long naps. The difference is now, I'm extremely stressed while doing it.

It's funny because if I'm going to be lazy anyway, I mine as well enjoy it.

I'm often stuck in this limbo between being lazy and enjoying it, and doing something worthy of my time (perhaps being lazy is important, but at this point I feel like I'm overindulging). It's this indecision that's creating so much stress and these feelings of disappointment in myself.

As I write this and figure it out, I feel like I'm starting to get back in touch with the mindset that's going to help me.

Having fun, excitement, and passion is the most efficient and powerful way of living life.

Whenever I get down on myself, I end up dead in the water. Once I get stuck in that negative mindset, it doesn't matter if I'm writing, doing photography, or even traveling -- I spiral downwards, I can't focus, I get in the habit of looking at everything in a negative way.

The only thing I can think of now is to march forward, embracing my passion and curiosity in every aspect of my life.

Yes I'll stumble, yes I'll fall. But that's an essential part of growth/learning.


SO! Setting my eyes on things ahead. Here are some thingies/big changes/events that I'm looking forward to.

MOVING TO LOS ANGELES

I've never lived not-in-Washington. I want to do this to do something different, to advance in my career at a faster pace, to network, to get into the most creative and professional environment that I can get into in my field. Also to make a difference. The move will be temporary, I'm thinking maybe one to three years, no more than five.

Right now, the most important thing is I save money (after paying back Chad and Dad).

My plan is to make this move in October/November.

TRIP TO BOGOTA & SOUTH AMERICA ROADTRIP

These will be either separate or combined, depending on my financial situation. I'm also planning this for October-December time. I'm still unsure of the timing of everything, and will have to wait and see when makes the most sense to go. The roadtrip would be from Bogota to Argentina (down through Ecuador, Peru & Bolivia). I need to do some more research on visas and traveling between countries before leaving. Also, I really really really want to do some sort of creative project with this trip. I'm thinking some sort of travel blog with photography and possibly video. Or a video project by itself.

I've always envisioned myself as doing something like this while traveling, and for some reason I always thought it'd happen by itself. But I've been to Costa Rica, Mexico, and many other places without doing anything creative besides taking personal photos.

In preparation for this, I'd like to start doing this locally. Because if I can't do it locally, how am I supposed to do it globally?

I think it'll start out as a blog which somehow catches the unique essence of a location. I'm not exactly sure how yet. I was going to start with my hometown, and write about how that place influenced my life. Then supplement the article with photographs.

Video-wise is a bit more difficult for me. I'd like to get something simple (again that captures the essence of a place) that promotes understanding between cultures. Perhaps short videos that spotlight individuals in different places.

I could also do an article/photo/video hybrid.

I could also do a spotlight on a location, visit someplace maybe 2-3 days in a row, get photos/videos of the place in day/night, interview people. Write an article on the place. And have all these places arranged neatly on a simple website.

I'd actually like to get started with writing down ideas for the layout of the website. I'd like to have everything streamlined, simple, and pretty.

ANYWAYS

Those are my thoughts.

No comments: