It's a very different time of day. A time of day most of us aren't very acquainted with. If we are, we usually associate it with long nights in our room or in front of the tv.
But most of us stay away from outside.
Even in a bustling city, things are quiet at night.
Shopping centers and highways that are bustling with people and traffic during the day are surprisingly empty at this hour...
Sitting on my balcony right now, I can see a lone pair of lights slowly floating across the 520 bridge. I can hear the gentle hum of the ventilation and other low rumbling sounds that come from the building. The only other sounds are the distant sounds of single cars driving around the city... Other than that it's quiet...It's peaceful. Thousands of glowing orange orbs litter the city below...adding a sense of mystery to the world... The sky seems clear.... but while I look down at my hands typing this, in the soft light of my laptop screen, I see little crumbs drifting from above onto the surface of the laptop...taking only mere seconds to transform from a crumb to a little droplet of water.
It seems crazy to me how peaceful it is at night.....How little can be going on with so many people in the world, even if it's for a few hours. I peer off the balcony to see if anyone else is awake... Two other students remain in their rooms busy on their laptops, completely oblivious to the outside world.
But for once, I'm paying attention to the world below.... I begin to notice things....Blinking stop lights that flash for no one... a freezing wind that gusts across my skin from time to time....And though it stings, it doesn't hurt. In fact, it almost feels refreshing, like it's reminding me I'm alive....
And between the orange glows of lights, are two large holes... areas that sit in complete mystery... In the day I know them to be a golf driving range and a nature park.... But now they're neither...Just blackness.
I wonder about the lone cars that drive on the empty streets below... Who are they? Where are they going?.... Are they hardworking parents, driving home from a late night job... Maybe students, who are making the trip back from a long weekend vacation from someplace faraway...
Who knows...
I just felt like writing this blog.... It's now nearly 4am, but I just felt the urge to write.... I was walking back from parking my car in U-village, and I started noticing snowflakes floating down in front of the street lights... It just seemed magical to me... It made me want to sit out on the balcony and write...
Anyhow, I'm going to attempt to sleep now, even though I'm not tired.... School does call in the morning...


1 comment:
the descriptions in this are amazing!
Post a Comment