...The past few years I've grown some bad patterns in the way I think. Ways of thinking that kill my creativity. I can't explain it exactly...but I always find SOME excuse to NOT do something good. I'll try and think of some examples:
- On photoshoots, I'm always thinking "this isn't right" "the lighting's bad" "this location doesn't work" "I'm a horrible photographer"...I just get all these bad thoughts in my head which pretty much make me give up.... I'll usually just start taking pictures randomly, hoping they'll turn out good..then none of them do... and I get even more frustrated. I need to realize that every location has its constraints, the key is to WORK with it, and find the BEST shots I can take for each given situation. Also, I need to THINK of the shots I'm going to take first.....think of the picture I'm going to take BEFORE I take it.... I did it today at a football game...I visualized all the shots before I took them, and they turned out great...Just like I had in my head. I need to put some effort into it, and think to myself "what pictures would an AMAZING photographer take here?" then take those shots.
- If I'm drawing something...I'll instantly think...this is horrible, there's a million people who can draw better than me...and just give up....or think this drawing is stupid....and give up.... I need to realize, I need to get out of my head... just draw what comes to my mind...and if it's stupid or bad WHO CARES, it doesn't matter....and if I actually stick to it, it actually usually ends up turning out pretty good.
- If there's a chore to do, I usually just put it off...telling myself "i'll do it later"...or "ughh I just don't feel like it right now"....or "that's too hard".... I seriously need to get out of my head, jump to my feet, and get it done. Cause usually, whatever it is, is pretty easy.
I'm starting to realize, everyone's only human, the greatest ideas and pieces of art began with a simple idea... It's all about coming up with something simple idea, and putting time and thought into it.
When I go take photographs, I usually go out and just HOPE I find some random good pictures... It's usually really unorganized... I really want to start going out and taking THEMED shoots. Maybe do a different one every week. For example, I could do a themed photoshoot of "garbage" then go to a bunch of different places, taking pictures of how garbage is affecting the environment around us... Or even do little themed shoots like the "lifetime" of an object... Like take a picture of a carton of milk at a store...then of someone at home pouring the milk into their cereal...then a picture of an abandoned, empty carton of milk smashed up on the ground somewhere. I think that'd be a lot of fun...just combine some ideas together, take some new perspectives, find SOMETHING to take pictures of...make comparisons, contrast.... Instead of going out and snapping random shots... It'd bring a lot more organization and creativity to when I take pictures, and I think it'd make it a lot more fun too!
Anyways, I had all these ideas churning around in my head, I just wanted to get it all down. I also want to try and make some of my own photography equipment...some lighting stuff perhaps...anyways, I'm out!
...wait..no I'm not.
I just wanted to say a bit more...
I've been thinking... I think my DREAM job would be to work for National Geographic, or take photos of current events for a news place. This site is a big inspiration for me...They take amazing photographs of current events, if you haven't seen them before take a gander! Anyhow, I think I might try to put more effort into photography, and see if I can make some of these dreams come true. Yes, I'm going into weather, and if that's how it ends up..fine. But I think it's also a good opportunity to come into contact with a news station, and hey if I keep up with my hobby of photography maybe I could merge the two paths I'm taking. Hey, it's a crazy idea, but hey, nothing's impossible!
I mean, I already got paid $130 for spending a few hours just taking group shots of people having fun at a restaurant... To me that's crazy, that someone could pay that much just to have someone come and snap a few photos. I'm realizing that there's money in some photography...I wonder if I could think of some ideas that could bring in more $$$ for more photography equipment. I know Costco can make BIG really nice prints for a pretty cheap price... Maybe take photos for people, and sell them posters or something...I don't know...just some crazy thoughts..
Allright, now I'm REALLY out.
No comments:
Post a Comment