Sunday, September 16, 2012

Now

For me the hardest part about writing is the beginning.

I try and piece together something coherent and structured in my head, a blueprint for what is to be written. However, it never goes as the blueprint says it will. In fact, the more I look to the blueprint, the less I get done.

I have always found my favorite posts to be written in the moment.

Not from something planned, but from thoughts. Thoughts that are put into reality the moment my fingers touch the keys on the keyboard.

It can be thought of improvisation.

But what is improvisation?

For myself it's letting go.

It's letting go of everything I know. Letting go of how I think it should be done. It's being completely vulnerable. It's giving my whole self to something, one instant after another. In the midst of improvisation there is no past or future. There is only now.

I think one of the most powerful things someone can do is commit themselves to something. Whether that be a person, an idea, a passion... It can be anything. Your commitments define who you are. They draw a line in the sand for what you believe in. They give you purpose.

Purpose is something that's infectious. It's not easy to find...or is it?

All that I know is that people want it. But we get in our own way. We let fear and excuses and blame get in the way of our commitments. Let them get in the way of being who we are. And by that we rob ourselves of purpose.

Writing for me is something that's special. I've realized that it's a form of expression that carries some unique qualities not found in spoken word. The most special quality is that it requires imagination. It's the most rudimentary form of communication, devoid of sound (like music) or moving images (like video). Yet, the words you read now are more than little black pixels. They have meaning. They generate meaning. I'd' even say they generate imagination.

and with that, we come to a close.

No comments: